Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Secret Garden... well, kinda

Time to move to the back yard which holds the main vegetable garden. I call it the secret garden because it's in the lower part of the back yard which makes it invisible from the alley.

View from top part of back yard

Another view facing east


...and another view facing west

Erika just put down a pretty good layer of straw, so every thing looks pretty tidy right now. I personally think she went a little overboard, but it looks great, so I can't really complain. 

The corn seed I put in last week is already sprouting. It looks like just about all of them germinated, so we should have two relatively straight rows of corn. I read somewhere that you should do corn in a 4x4's at the very least, but that was after I already put in the beans and radishes, so there wasn't any room left. I think we'll be okay. Speaking of radishes...

Growing radishes has been super easy so far. All I've done is water them and keep the weeds at bay... they've done the rest.

I set the stakes up around the tomato row. When the tomato vines get big enough, I'll weave garden twine between them to make a net of sorts for support. A side note, I made these stakes out of scrape wood from a construction site I used to work at. I salvage anything I can if I think I'll be able to use it.

This post was going to be longer, but I just accidentally erased all the pictures on my camera, so I'll have to cut it short. Overall, the garden is doing very well. Everything is thriving. I still need to get potato seed in the ground. Hopefully I'll be able to pick some up at an Agway when I'm in Harrisburg next week. Oddly enough, no one around here sells seed potatoes. It's surprising that growing potatoes is not more popular. It's very easy and they usually produce very well. Potatoes also keep for a long time if stored properly. Oh well, you'll all be sorry when the nukes drop, and I'm the only one with potatoes!

1 comment: